January 10, 2013

Get Vegucated

After two previous bouts of vegetarianism, I think I'm ready to hop back on the bandwagon. Having stopped eating meat for selfish reasons that had nothing to do with health or the planet, I quickly jumped back into bacon, burgers, and lamb chops. Overall, my health is very important to me, and to be honest, I think it's the least I can do to help our planet survive. We are setting ourselves up for extinction at an extremely rapid rate, and it truly is terrifying! Educate yourselves, people! Now, I'm not going to get caught up in crazy-lady talk, but I will say it is quite important to make it a point to reduce your carbon footprint, and little things like adopting a vegan (or even vegetarian) lifestyle is huge! Eating a plant-based diet reduces more emissions than driving a hybrid car!


image source: Christine Park


Marissa Miller's documentary Get Vegucated really opened my eyes to the true reasons I want to go vegan.  Again, I'm not trying to push the few readers I have into a lifestyle they don't care to live, all I'm saying is educate yourselves. If nothing else, go read a book about it, watch one of the many documentaries on Netflix, look up medical journals about health and plant-based diets. Do something. Do something positive for yourself and this planet we all share.

Here are some links to help you get started! Vegan.org,  Get VegucatedGreen Planet, PCRM, PETA

And trust me, I'm not going to go on rants pushing you all to become a vegan or vegetarian - I was just shedding some light into where my mind has been lately! I might post about my progress every now and then, or a tasty recipe, but I mean no harm!

2 comments

Anonymous said...

I think everybody should educate themselves about food and it's origins in general and do something about it. E.g. I just buy food from my region and/or my country and I'm focused on organic food especially in vegetables and fruits.

Every little helps and I admire people for being vegetarian :)

Katie said...

I totally agree Isa (obviously! haha) I wish the options were easily available and not so expensive here in America!

xo, katie

paper kate. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.