June 10, 2013

My Happiness Project (revisited...)

"I'm a firm believer that evolving and changing your mind and following your dreams is the best way to live." Wiser word have never been spoken, Kara Haput. (ps, she's the mastermind behind ijustmightexplode.com)

It makes me thankful for my ever-changing mind, but it also makes me think. I like to consider myself a "Jane of All Trades", aka I cannot and will not ever make up my mind about anything. I have thousands of ideas floating around in my head of what I can be and where I can go with my life, but I can't seem to get it together. Whether it be this blog, my career choice, my education, or the color of my room, I cannot find one thing that I want to stick with...forever. Maybe I just haven't experienced that one thing yet, maybe I never will and I'll spend my life searching for it. I was talking to my sister about this recently, and she flat out said "...but Kate, no one is completely fulfilled with what they do for a living, that's what hobbies are for." Ar first, I scoffed at her. No Jessica, I WILL be 100% satisfied with my life and my career. Obviously. But now that I'm thinking more about it, is what she said true? Will I have to work 40+ hours a week just to make ends meet, and not absolutely love what I'm doing? Will I have to force myself to enjoy what I do in order to justify my self-worth? How can I fit in all of my passions and goals, while still having time to get (my absolutely necessary) 8 hours of sleep? Am I starting to sound insane...?

I like art, I like studying art history, I like photography, I like the internet, I like writing, I want to further my design education, I don't like being forced to do things, I like animals, I like long summers at my beach house with the love of my life, I love working with children, I like being in school, I like traveling, I like yoga, I like being healthy. I can keep going, but I'm sure no one cares. Now, I guess what really matters when thinking about my future is what is important to me? Do I want summers off and freelance hair/design? Do I want to dive deeper into design, spend more money on school just to be on the grind at a bigwig ad agency? What will provide me with the most overall potential happiness? These are questions only I can answer, but for now I'll continue to do what makes me happy every day, and if something isn't doin' it for me, I'll keep searching.

I hate to say this, because I know everything in my past has shaped who I am today, but I wish I could go back and think more about my life and myself. I didn't do any soul searching back when you're "supposed to". I didn't have goals. I went through the motions with the thought that life would just come together at some point, no worries. Now here I am, 26 years old and confused as hell. Oh, life.

1 comment

meg bird said...

I feel the exact same way. I mean, maybe not exact because obviously we're two entirely separate human beings here. But I didn't really think things through either, back when there was time to do such things. I had no goals, I just coasted through and did the bare minimum. And I wish someone would have slapped me.

But I also feel that our 20's exist to be confused in. That's what I tell myself at least. "It's okay that I'm confused because I'm supposed to be. I'm in my twenties." Which probably isn't getting me anywhere but it makes me feel better. So maybe it'll help you.

paper kate. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.